Sunday, December 30, 2007

Meat


On Meat and Redemption

Damnable curse oh, that fell upon men
In a garden where only the veggie was in
But the One who redeemed gave delectable beasts
So that this side of Heaven the fallen may feast.

Oh sing of sausage, and ribs, scrumptious fowl
Oh thank you dear schweiner, yon chicken, ye cow
For giving thy flesh that my hunger subsides
And gracing my grill and my tender insides.

I speculate, yes, but this I believe
That had meat not been given ‘cause Adam and Eve
Our Heavenly Father, perfect and great
Would have used other means to put meat on my plate.

Amen.

The Covering…

Gravy. Olio. Hollandaise. Barbeque.
A puddle of nothing, no purpose that’s true
Without underneath it the succulent flesh
Of a beast who was bred, shot, or caught with some mesh.

Now if you’re a purist, and desire no sauce
Have it your way my friend, no carnivorous loss
But consider the covering a paint that is sweet
Now you are the artist, your canvas is meat.

Michelangelo, Leonardo, I mean you no ill
But I favor the artist who works on the grill
Will I be remembered like they for their work?
Perhaps among meat lovers, where ‘ere they may lurk

So open the lid, douse your steak with this nectar
And at least ‘til the morning, your works are remembered.

The Herbivore’s Folly.

Oh weaker brother, I pity him so
For the pleasure of the pork chops that he’ll never know
I bitterly weep for that thin wretched man,
Whose naught ‘ere partaken of Mum’s Christmas ham

My tears, they are torn ‘tween remorse and such glee
For I desire to bless him, then again… more for me.
If he think it ignoble and abstain from this pleasure
The meat piles up on my plate beyond measure.

On broccoli, on carrots, on taters for him
They’ll garnish my plate, but they’ll scarce enter in
To my gullet so long as charred flesh is in reach
And once I’m content 1 Corinthians 10 I will teach.

Stumble not my brother, and lead others to peace
Better teach them to feast on the flesh of the beast.

Meat: It’s what’s for dinner.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

this made my mouth water. i wanted to eat the computer. 4

Horace said...

Great poems! Loved all 3. Or were they supposed to be one single one?

I got an idea for a poem on a completely different subject through a sad event last night, so I started working on that, and gave up on the food poem. You would have won anyways, yours was good, mine was rather silly. A limerick. It went something along the lines of:

I have nothing to say on the subject of food.
I find little to be said and much to be chewed.
[line 2]
[line 3 -both B rhymes]
...puts me in quite a good mood.

Jennifer said...

Nice Ty
yeah i think it might do you well to catch up on some Austen, if you know what i mean:)hehehehe. That was my coniving giggle. or my tipsy giggle. one or the other. YOu should get a facebook for the sake of meeting new people at NSA!! I've met a couple already through a group on there. Do it.

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Mrs. Z and I read your meat poems this morning and laughed our heads off. Thanks!

P.S. I think you mean e'er (contraction of ever), not ere (before, no apostrophe needed).

P.P.S. If it weren't so petty, I'd make a similar comment about the your/you're confusion in the next post...and in the first comment to it. ;-)