Thursday, November 6, 2008

Beard

Last week Mr. Leithart made his clever and well-received attack on the shaggy faces of the freshman class. I appreciate what he was saying. He makes a valid point by warning against the growth of a beard for status or a façade of maturity. I agree. The thing is I don’t think that many members of the freshman class grow beards for this reason. I don’t rely on my beard for social acceptance. I rely on my beard to separate my chin from my neck. There is nothing wrong with growing a beard, but, live up to your beard. If you behave like a prepubescent punk, then I must agree that your chin fuzz only serves to accentuate the contrast between your age and your behavior. But if you are a young man known for maturity and humility, then a beard is totally appropriate.
Again I’ll grant to Mr. Leithart, that part of that maturity and humility is knowing what you can grow and where. Fourteen hairs grown to five inches long is not the mark of wisdom. I’ve spent the last week figuring out that I can’t grow a moustache, and I probably won’t try again for some time. Also, it is important to keep in mind that, most of us come from much more clement weather than the frozen tundra that is Moscow. A little hair on the face goes a long way in maintaining body heat. So to the freshman guys, be wise, stay warm, and grow a beard, if you can.

3 comments:

Amberleigh said...

Hey! You blog too! I loved this post. My mom and I both laughed pretty hard. Very, very funny, I beleive this applies to the juniors and seniors at my school too.

Horace said...

Someone better let all those other freshman know that they aren't known for maturity and humility.
But who knows? Maybe they'll wake up and say to themselves, "You know what, I better shave this beard since I'm immature and prideful."

Unknown said...

Hey Tyler! So are you really growing a beard?