Monday, January 18, 2010

on (not) being "indie"

Firstly of all, did you notice how much I communicated with mere punctuation in the title.

Secondly of all, I am not nor have I ever been considered part of the indie crowd. What is the indie crowd you ask? My outside perspective leads me to believe that to be indie is to: wear tight second-hand clothes, or tight clothes that look second hand. The indie crowd enjoys scarves, music that i haven't heard of in which i cannot always discern a melody, poetry (particularly free verse), romance, pencil art, cigarettes, pencil art about romance and cigarettes, film photography, organics, and awkwardness in movies. (side note: the word awkwardness is like an ugly sibling, it doesn't get any better looking the more you stare at it, but you start to think one day you'll really enjoy hanging out with it) Anyway, this is where i start my tirade against the indie subculture, right? Naa, maybe later. I like them. some of my good friends fit one or more of the criteria for being indie. and I love them for it. But I just can't seem to get on board. First of all, people cringe when they hear the words " Antkowiak" and "skinny jeans" in the same sentence. Secondly scarves really don't do anything to help the appearance of the already existing disparity between the size of my head and the size of my body. As far as the music goes, i just don't really do the whole longing thing. I get angry, i lust, i love, i laugh, and I cry. There's just no room for longing in here. I'm all for romance, but I fell like we would be talking about very different things. Its the same with the pencil drawings. ... this post started as a fun venue for self deprecation, but i think that if i keep going i'll start stepping on toes that i love and care about, so I guess that thats about all for now...


OH! Wait! I remember now. The thing that got me going was: What is the deal with the indie subculture and cigarettes? I like a (high quality, no additive) cigarette as much as the next guy, but honestly, what's going on? Are they sexy? Are they revolutionary? I just don't get it. Thoughts?

2 comments:

MissingGoat said...

Hmm that's very interesting. Always good to know where you're at. Especially if you're at somewhere where at others aren't.

As for cigarettes, my tenuous guess is that they are a metaphor for need. I picture a skinny french dude (in a scarf) in a black and white film looking across some street somewhere when I hear Indie and Cigarette in the same sentence. Clutching a cigarette seems to me to be the next best thing to clutching something a sight more fulfilling, like what indie music usually sings about (love, sunsets, innocence, family, meaning in general). That's my two cents.

trotter said...

http://theimpossiblecool.tumblr.com/post/144224116/dean

and

http://theimpossiblecool.tumblr.com/post/69377442/sinatra

that's all i'm saying. dean's is all about need, quiet, and loneliness (mostly because of an awesome photo), sinatra wears it like that hat on his head: essential, stylish, and admittedly a trifle absurd.

indie loves all of that. it loves to wear clothing that's a bit absurd (used, tight, short, etc.) as if it's essential, and loneliness is all they sing about. don't know why, but there it is. mostly this comment was an excuse to get you to look at that blog i linked to. awesome, no?