Friday, July 24, 2009

Honest Question- Raised by a friend outside of my family, calm down, all hypothetical.

If one of your siblings was getting married to a non believer would you attend the ceremony? I absolutely would go to the man's bachelor party, to keep him from dishonoring my sister the night before their wedding. And I can see myself getting more involved in my sister's life afterwards, because she will need support and love all the more. My question isn't whether I would drop out of her life. Certainly not, just the opposite. I can't support the union, because he can't love her as Christ loves the Church, because he doesn't love Christ. Her father is going to have to continue doing that for him. Her Father is still her covenant head in many bregards. My Question is; would i attend the ceremony (coming from the middle latin awed, or revered rite) between a believer and a nonbeliever?

5 comments:

Christian said...

How would you hold him to his marriage vows if you weren't there to witness them?

Tyler Antkowiak said...

Good point.

trotter said...

that's what i was thinking.

but once the authority is transfered by the father, if he's a willing participant in all this, i don't know if he has any headship from that point on. this is why it's such a bad idea to do this sort of thing.

Tyler Antkowiak said...

I think there are two covenants at work, The Covenant, and the covenant of Marriage. I have some fuzzy thoughts about her father still being her connection to the former, and her husband the federal head in the latter. I do agree this would be such a mess.


There also is the fact that there would be so much discussion and debate and confrontation, that even if I were to be he picture of Christian love and charity, I still probably wouldn't get an invitation.

Jeremy Sauder said...

I've always wondered what would actually cause someone to use that time slot in a wedding where the minister says something to the effect of "if anyone knows of any reason why these two should not be joined, let them speak now."

Perhaps, depending on all the factors in this messy hypothetical situation, a well thought out objection (not just angry emotional vomiting) would be appropriate at this point.