Friday, March 20, 2009

Hey... he's alive.

The Travel Post

Sorry for the Late Great Blog Silence. The mind is weak and the body is busy. I’ve finished my third term at New Saint Andrews and I’m happy to report it went well, quietly even. No broken bones were had, a rarity, respectable grades and good fellowship aplenty. I’ve begun singing at several nursing homes this past term that have made me laugh to the point that I nearly shared my entertainer’s incontinence. Between Wild Bill (from over the hill, who never worked a day in his life and never will), Evelyn who openly criticizes our singing, and my friend who has told me about her granddaughter who wore a little bathing suit on the grass at least once a visit, I think I’ve found a favorite: I was talking with a woman who will be turning 96 in April. After exchanging a few pleasantries about the weather (freezing rain and snow) she asked my name.
“Tyler Antkowiak, ma’am.”
They all really like being called ma’am.
“And what type of a name is that?”
“Its Polish, ma’am.”
Long pause.
“And how have you enjoyed your time in our country?”
“Oh just fine, ma’am, America is a beautiful place.”

My Question:
If movies are the modern equivalent of novels, are trailers the modern equivalent of poems? Watch a few for cinematographically charged dramas, or emotionally charged (ha!) action movies.
My Book: The Supper of the Lamb By Robert Capon. This book reminded me what it is to be human. I recommend it particularly if you have no culinary interests.
My Food: Corned Beef Reuben (best I’ve ever had) from Nana’s Irish Pub in Newport, Oregon.
TyTunes: Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live Alive. Great live album especially the tracks Superstition, and Willie the Wimp.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

When I'm in Poland, I'll keep my eye out for any long lost cousins of yours. :-)

MissingGoat said...

Ha that cracks me up! So funny when people think you're foreign. It's happened to a few of my friends.

Angie B. said...

lol! Wonderful that you are sharing your singing talents with the older folks--and even better that you are sharing the stories about them here. :-) Keep it up.

>> I recommend it particularly if you have no culinary interests. <<

Amen. Capon's book inspired me to try to cultivate an interest, though--and it's great reading.

Horace said...

Haha. Thats awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love discussions with elderly people, they always seem to go in a direction you never would have expected. I am glad you are singing for them, I am sure they smile quite a bit as a result.

Unknown said...

Mmmm... A Corned Beef Reuben sounds yummy right now! :)